Friday, January 27, 2012

First Friday

So this is the second non-yarn related post in a row.  I will get back to yarn delights soon, as I just procured yarn to start two new projects (YAY!!!).  Today, though, is all about food.

Food is important, maybe too important to me.  I am always thinking about eating delicious things, which is not good because I am attempting to loose weight for my sister's wedding in June (the Matron of Honor has to look good too, right?).  But, I digress.

Food is easy, cooking is hard.  I am very bad a meal planning.  I just never know what to make.  I leave for work about 6:40 am, drop my daughter off at daycare, work until 3:30ish, run 3-4 miles, collect my daughter and then return home around 5:20 pm. I then somehow have to make dinner for the family and we like to eat between 5:30 and 6 pm. So I don't have a lot of time to cook and usually all the meat is frozen and I forgot to get it out to defrost.  I like the idea of cooking, but doing it seems to be a different matter.

So my point is, we are going to start a family tradition.  On Fridays we are going to always make homemade pizza.  I got this idea years ago when I read Animal Vegetable Mineral by Barbara Kingsolver.  Her family had homemade pizza every Friday as a family ritual and I thought, so nice, we should do that.  Fast forward 18 months and  here we are, tonight starts an Ott family tradition.  Tonight is the First Friday and we're having  Canadian bacon pizza.

It is one night I do not have to plan.  It is one night that will be constant.  It is one night were everyone will eat without argument.  It is one night I can usually count on my hubby to cook.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a fabulous tradition! Especially if your husband cooks. :)

    ReplyDelete