Thursday, May 17, 2012

Planting

Last Saturday I went with my family to the Home Depot to get plants and flowers for landscaping our house.  I usually don't go to Home Depot because to get there, I pass several other home improvement stores. I usually go to the closest store (Lowe's).  However, I was motivated to get out to Home Depot because I won a $50 gift certificate from Decor and the Dog. Thanks!!!

We got two new flower pots for the front steps.






Since the steps are mostly shaded by our tree, we went with inpatients and this pretty purple and green thing (I have the name of it somewhere, just not sure where).






I may have overestimates the number of plants I needed for this small of a pot.  We'll see how they grow. This is a learning experience.

For the front bed, also so very shady, we went with hostas and lilyturf.






I have tried to get other things to grow in the front bed, but it is just too shady.  I think these will do just fine.
 
In the back,  I added some Miracle Grow dirt and put my farmer's market seedlings in the ground.  The seedlings have been on my kitchen windowsill for a few weeks now.  It was nice to get them in the garden.  It is not a very big space to grow plants; I have just enough room for 6 plants.  I planted 2 tomato plants (the variety escapes me, but I don't care too much because I am allergic to them), 2 green pepper and 2 cucumber.




I am not very good a growing food so, this is really all I can handle right now.  We do have near-future plans to put in a raised bed garden on the side yard for more veggies.  That will be a definite learning experience.  I might need to read a few books.


What are you growing?

9 comments:

  1. The purple and green plant in your planter is a coleus( col e us). I found some different colored ones this year. I don't think you have too many plants in your pots. They should look very pretty and full in another month.
    It is so windy here everyday I haven't planted mine yet. They will just get blown to pieces. Keep hoping for a few still days, maybe next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about not too many plants. I thought maybe I crowded them too much.

      Delete
  2. I am bad at growing things. Plus, I hate hate hate yard work. I wish I didn't. I think it's because I have bad memories of being pressed into weeding early on summer mornings because it was hot as blazes by 8:00 a.m. I hate being sweaty and dirty--either one alone I don't mind, but I can't take them together. And the sun has always hurt me (as in I literally feel it burning me) so maybe that's the real reason I don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always hated yard work too. This is the first year I have ever tried at it and I seem to be doing okay.

      Delete
  3. Your gardens look so nice and neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris loves gardening; it's his "hobby", so we have a lot. Broccoli, cabbage, chives, a mesclun green mix, several tomato plants, eggplants, rosemary, oregano, basil, a few strawberry plants, some raspberry bushes that will produce later this summer, and 3 blueberry bushes that are already fruiting.
    I touch none of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds wonderful. I did all the labor, but Adam does mow, weedwack, etc.

      Delete
  5. Yay for free money!! We started a little yard stuff last week-end but I need to get to planting my annuals!

    ReplyDelete