Monday, May 14, 2012

Dilemma Solved

On Friday, I had a reading dilemma with three books to read.  Well, it wasn't much of a dilemma because I inhaled City of Lost Souls.

I stayed up late reading on Friday...maybe too late since Saturday morning came very early and I had to get a 6 mile run in.  Oh well, totally worth it!!!

I think Cassandra Clare puts crack in her books because I am so addicted.  Everything she writes, I read immediately.  I guess I am just a sucker for the Shadowhunter world.

This book is #5 in The Mortal Instruments Series. Originally, The Mortal Instruments was a trilogy, but Clare decided to expand it to a six book series.   Number four, the City of Fallen Angels, was definitely my least favorite in the series so I was wondering if it was a bad idea to expand the trilogy.  Well, this book totally redeemed the extension.  It was great and had lots of twists and turns.  Clary, out heroine, shows why she totally kicks butt.  She is not some meek girl in love with the hot Shadowhunter (Oh, Jace), but she too is a Shadowhunter (though less trained) and brave and loyal.  Yes, a lot of what she does is motivated by her love for Jace and their relationship, but she is also strongly motivated by her friends, family and personal ethics.

I highly recommend the series to anyone who loves a bit of fantasy or paranormal.  Everyone I have loaned my copies to has loved them.  It is not just a paranormal romance, it is so much more with the fighting of demons and other bad guys.  I feel I have to defend all paranormal books from the Twilight comparison and these books would appeal to Twilight readers, but they have a much better premise and story line.

4/5 stars on Goodreads.


Now I am reading both A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly and Divergent by Veronica Roth simultaneously.  However, I think Divergent wins out, dystopian fiction always wins for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment