Monday, February 13, 2012

Review: The Fault in Our Stars

Yesterday, I finished a most marvelous book, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.  To say John Green is a good writer is an understatement.  He is a fabulous writer and he shows it here.



This book is about cancer, so you may cry a lot.  I did.  And it is not some Lifetime movie about teens with cancer, if that is what you are thinking.  Oh no, it is something very different.  This is the story of Hazel, who has terminal lung cancer, and the people she meets at the cancer support group she attends, especially one Augustus Waters and their infinite adventures.  I fear saying more would give too much plot away to my lovely friends yet to read this book, so I will leave the details to a minimum. Okay?

John Green always seems to write characters that are wonderfully weird, something most people who are nerdy readers will appreciate.  Hazel and Augustus are very weird teens, they are thoughtful, introspective, funny, and they seem to really know who they are, something(s) I did not experience as a teen. I really wonder if anybody does.

I never knew what was going to happen in the story, even with foreshadowing.  Or maybe I did not want to believe the foreshadowing.  Anyway, the twists and turns of the plot were less expected than in so many of the books I read, even for a book with a main character with terminal cancer.

Highly enjoyable and outrageously true and sad.
5/5 stars

John Green has also written:
Looking For Alaska (also very, very good and a boarding school story)
Paper Towns (on my to-read list)
Abundance of Katherines (also on to-read list)
Will Grayson, Will Grayson (amazing, I love you, Tiny Cooper!)


Have you read John Green?  Do you love him?  What are you reading right now?

3 comments:

  1. Why yes! I've read all his stuff (except for his most recent), and I met him in 2008! He came to the library I worked at, and he was totally cool and geek-cute!
    I'm reading "Tempest" by Julie Cross right now...it's ok so far, but I think it's about to get more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you met him...so cool. You Indiana people have to stick together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I totally got this mixed up, you are from Ohio but went to school in Indiana. So still people in the state of Indiana should stick together.

      Delete