Thursday, June 28, 2012

Faithful Review

Over half way to my goal of reading 5 historical fiction YA books in 2012.

image Goodreads


Faithful depicts the life of Margaret Bennett of Newport in 1904.  After the disappearance of her mother, Maggie's father decides to take them out west to Yellowstone.  Maggie must now grow up in her new reality were snobbery and all her old Newport ways do not make friends.  She learns that everything she wanted is now not what she wants.

It took me about 100 pages to like Maggie.  I could see that she was going to turn out to be a alright, maybe even great girl, but she was so stuck-up and set on getting her debut in Newport.  And she was so dense, she was what was going on around her but she couldn't connect the dots to realize they were moving?  Once Maggie decided to make the best of her situation and found out a few secrets her father was keeping, she became the girl I knew she could be: kind, caring, brave and resourceful.  Even though Maggie has a romantic interest, that is not the main motivator for her change.  She wants to be a better person.  She wants to find love not just be married to some rich man as her family wishes.  She wants a career and to be free from her former constraints (including her corset).  She wants a future out West.

This book was a lovely birthday gift from a dear friend. Although we often disagree on books, we can agree on this one.  It was great. I hope to read the rest in the series someday....

4/5 stars on Goodreads.

2 comments:

  1. I actually don't mind waiting a while to like a character. Real people have issues they have to work through. It took me a while to really like Maggie, too, but I think it was worth it. I am looking forward to reading Forgiven because I do think a lot more could have been done with Kula's character. I hope I end up liking her, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to see a character develop and change too. I knew Maggie would turn out alright in the end. I try to be open-minded.

      Delete