Monday, November 21, 2011

I Love Sarah Dessen: a Review of Along for the Ride

I was so happy that I got in a few hours of reading time last week.  I had to take my daughter in for her flu shot and had to take a half day at work to accommodate it.  That means I got an afternoon to read while my daughter rested.
I love Sarah Dessen.  Her books are always lovely.  They do follow a steady plot pattern, but it is an enjoyable pattern.  She just writes young adult with a bit of romance. Even though romance is a major theme, (as it is in most YA books) the biggest and best theme is about learning to love yourself.  I know it sound cheesey, but I love it.  All the female protagonists are good role models.  They have made mistakes in life or have had bad/unfortunate things happen to them and they wrestle with them, but learn from them and become a better person.  Her writing style is wonderful too.  She know just how to tell a story at the right pace. 

In Along for the Ride, Auden decides to live with her father and late-twenties-year-old step-mother (and newborn half-sister) for the summer before college.  All of her high school career and even earlier has all be about academics for Auden.  Her father and mother are both academics and raised Auden in an adult world.  Auden missed all the normal aspects of childhood and teenage life, like going to prom, having a boyfriend or having any social life.  Now in the summer, she is making friends and learning to be a young adult and have fun.  She also meets a nice boy.  I can't say much more without spoiling all of it.

I have had this book on my to-read list for a while, all of Sarah Dessen's books are.  I have also read: What Happened to Goodbye, The Truth About Forever (my fave!!!), and This Lullaby.  So I have read 4 of the 10 books she has published.  I recommend them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment