Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Fluff

So after reading the Pulitzer Prize winning The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.  I was in the mood more much "fluffier" stuff.  I love reading books that are fun and not too deep.  I read to be entertained.  I want to be entertained with happy and sometimes magical things.  I read to escape so I tend to pick a lot of books that are easy and quick to read with lots of action.

First, I finished reading The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party by Alexander McCall Smith.

This book is number twelve in the No. 1 Ladies Deceive Agency series featuring detective Precious Ramotswe.  I love McCall Smith and read most of what he writes.  I say most because he just writes so much and several series that I can't keep up.  Already #13 has been published in this series and the other series I devoutly read (the Isabel Dalhousie series) has a book out I haven't read.  I love Mma Ramotswe and her home in Gaborone, Botswana.  She has such a great outlook on life.  She is calm and collected and thinks a lot. I like her.  She is nothing like me.  I will read every book in this series!

Upon the completion of that book, I started in on Spell Bound. 

This is the third book in the Hex Hall series.  I am pretty sure the target audience on this is 14 or 15 year old girls, but I love it.  The series follows the life of Sophie Mercer who as a teen learns that she is a witch and her parents have been hiding her magical ability from her.  She is send to reform school for mischievous magical persons.  What is there not to love. Reform school, with reform school hotties and crazy teachers.  Magic.  Fairies, Witches, Demons, Vampires, Werewolves.  All good.  Definitely fluff and wonderful at that.  This installment ends the series and it was way too sugar coated.  Everything works out wonderfully.  But I guess it is hard to have a realistic ending to a book based on a world of magic.

Tomorrow more fluff...Nephilim fluff.

What are you reading in the fluff department?

2 comments:

  1. What is your definition of "fluff"? I probably would not define McCall Smith as fluff, for example. (Sorry, Spell Bound). I can't deal with books that are either what I would consider true fluff or books that are pretentious and written by a WRITER in a GARRETT wearing his/her BERET. I like books that both make me think and entertain me; I think those are the best.

    My most recent read is Ann Rinaldi's Time Enough For Drums. Rinaldi is a historical fiction writer who's been writing for decades. This was her first historical fiction, but I'd never read it. It's set in 1775-77 in Trenton, NJ. The history is well done (which is more than I can say for Phillipa Gregory--ick, ick, ick--she is nothing but fluff), but the plot may be a little fluffy. Still, I read it in two sittings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I wouldn't call McCall Smith "fluff" generally speaking but it is definitely "fluffier" than Kavalier and Clay. I tend to not want to think too much when reading. I think too much at work.

    ReplyDelete