Saturday, December 3, 2011

2012 Reading Challenge

I like to challenge myself as a reader, but not too much, I have my boundaries (mainly within YA).  For the past year I was in a reading challenge for The Contemps.  I was supposed to read 18 of their books in the past year.  I did not quite make it to that mark, I read 15.  I really loved the challenge because I would not have read any of those books without the challenge and I discovered a lot of great books.

For 2012, I am changing gears.  I am not leaving the YA genre, no I would never do that.  I am just going to read a separate sub-genre: historical fiction.  I don't read historical fiction at all so, it is going to be really interesting to read these.  The challenge is from the blog YA Bliss

I can read any YA historical fiction I want so, I do have some influence over my decisions.  I have already made my first selection:


A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly.  Is is an award winning book and has been recommend to me my several people.  I just have to wait a month for 2012 to start reading it. If I like it, I might read more by Donnelly, she mainly writes YA historical fiction. I have been wanting to read her, but have been putting it off.  Now I have a purpose and it is getting moved to the top of the reading pile.

But, before all this I have to read Testimony by Anita Shreve for my book club meeting on Tuesday.  This is yet another way I challenge my reading, because I would never choose this for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment