Thursday, August 25, 2011

Newest projects

Earlier today I started working on a post about the under-appreciated-ness of librarians.  I decided not to finish it and post it because I don't want to complain too much on this blog.  Me writing about under-appreciated librarians and underfunded libraries really won't change anything.  So instead today I bring you, my knitting.

This is my latest FO (finished object).  The Baktus scarf.  It begins with just casting on 4 stitches and then it grows ever 4 rows, by just one stitch, until you make it to half way.  Then, it decreases by one stitch every four rows.  It is nothing but pure and easy garter stitch with some increase and decreases.  Easy to take anywhere.

I used size US 3 needles and fingering yarn   (Kroy Socks 4 Ply in Clover Colors) so it went slowly, but I really like the result.

It has been well over 90 degrees the past few days so I have not be able to wear it but for a bit (inside only) when I finished it.  It will probably be months before I get to wear it.  I anxiously await that day, not just for the scarf wearing but for the cooler weather in general.

Something about summer makes me want to make scarves and hats.  I think I like it because it reminds me that heat is only temporary and some day I will need warm goodies.

I definitely plan on making the Baktus again.  Maybe not with sock yarn though.
Maybe I will learn to make socks so I can use sock yarn to make socks and not scarves.  However I really like the tiny stitches so maybe so I might just keep using sock yarn for much larger projects.  I love knitting for both the process and the finish project.  I love making it and love finishing.  I only dislike sewing in the ends and there were very few ends on the Batkus, only where I had to add the next skein and at the beginning and end.

I am now working on something completely different.

This is my knitting/crocheting/yarn bag.  Yes, I sewed my knitting bag.  And what it in it today?.....
The beginnings of cloche.  Cloche pronounced \ˈklōsh\ is a fancy hat made popular in the 1920s.  This one is called "Fine Feather Cap" from Crochet Today.


It the end it will look like this:


I love the felting and the peacock feathers.  Hopefully I can get this hat done this weekend.  I work quickly on projects and housework goes undone while I am in the knitting or crocheting mode.

Who needs a clean house when there is yarn just waiting to be made into something.  I may have a small addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment