Wednesday, August 3, 2011

My "Craftiness"

My life tends to go in obsessive cycles.  I will read, read and read until I stop.  Then I make stuff until I stop and go back to reading.  I am not one to sit still.  Even when I am sitting "still"  I am moving.  I have that horrible leg shake.  My husband is always getting on my case because I rock the dining room table or couch or where ever I am with my leg.

To better help me sit "still"  I knit, crochet, make cards, sew, scrapbook, make jewelry and try my hand at other fun crafty things I see on Pinterest and other places.

Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

I've made a few things this year.

I am high strung and I need lots of things to keep me busy.  Crafting helps me sit "still" otherwise I am not sure how long I could sit.  Could I watch a whole movie without knitting?  In a theatre yes, at home no way; not without something else to do.  I think I inherited this trait from my mother.  Time will tell if I have passed the gene on but all signs are pointing to yes at this point.  

Besides the fact the knitting and crocheting (main hobbies) make me sit, they also provide wonderful handmade gifts and a wonderful stress release.  A study by Harvard University shows that knitting has similar stress reducing abilities like yoga and meditation (check out Zen and the Art of Knitting: Exploring the Links Between Knitting, Spirituality, and Creativity).  

Knitting is also great for lunch breaks because most of my projects are portable, small and easy,  with easy to remember or follow patterns.
I will be forever indebted to my mom for teaching me to crochet and instilling a love of crafting.  I am also indebted to Molly, who taught me and several other librarians how to knit one lovely spring day.  I haven't be able to stop since.

No comments:

Post a Comment