Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Unexpected Knitting

On Saturday I set up a booth at the Peoria Riverfront Farmer's Market to sell my knitted and crocheted goods.


I took this picture with my phone, so not the best quality.

It was a wonderfully cool summer day.  So much nicer than my last month's farmer's market booth (it was a million degrees). And I really think that made all the difference.  People wanted to touch the yarn.  They were reminded that cold weather does exist and they should prepare.

I sold much more than I expected.  Last month I sold one hat which was nice because it paid for my booth's sub-rental and the yarn. I came out even that day.  I was just hoping for better than even this time.  I made a nice profit this time around, I sold several items which really boosted my spirits.  Yes, it is nice to make money, but more, it was wonderful to know that someone I did not know wanted something I made and was willing to pay for it. Plus, more money to buy yarn!!!!

Then something most unexpected happened.  People I know at work started commissioning projects.  I have orders for mittens, scarves, dishcloths and Christmas stockings.  All of a sudden I feel like a professional knitter.  My knitting confidence is soaring high this week.

Yet, I have not sold a single thing on Etsy.

I guess you just have to know people.

No comments:

Post a Comment