Friday, October 21, 2011

Ten Things We Did: A Review

Last night I finish my current YA read Ten This We Did (And Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski.

It is a cute book.  The protagonist, April convinces her father and step-mother to let her stay with her friend Vi in Westport, Connecticut  instead of moving with them to Ohio.  April stayed in Westport when her Mom and brother moved to Paris, there was no way she was leaving to go to Ohio.  There is one catch, April's parents don't know that Vi' mom will be in Chicago all semester in a theatre production.  This leaves two high school girls unsupervised.

As a book with teenaged girls unsupervised would have it, there is a lot of drinking and sex talk in this book.  Not that I mind that, that might be the only real premise in the book that I could believe.  The rest of the premise what totally unbelievable.  I didn't even really like April.  She was a bit whiny and dense.  She paid $3k for her  (free) cat to have surgery after it was hit by a car.  She just doesn't live in the real world.  I guess if i am going to read realistic fiction it should be realistic.  If I read fantasy it should be fantasy.  This book is in the middle, she is living a fantasy life in the real world.

It is not a bad book, but it is not to my liking at all.  I do see what is appealing about it, especially since a lot of YA books try to take parents out of the picture by setting the story in boarding schools or having little parental involvement.  This is a new twist on that setting that I haven't read. But who could really convince their parents through random impersonated phone calls and emails that it is OK to stay in a house unsupervised? And on top of that have a father give you $1000 a months in spending money.

2.5/5 stars

Next book....Pearl by Jo Knowles, Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson or Shut Out by Kody Kiplinger.  Not sure which one will win out.  Or maybe I'll read my book club selection  Art of Racing in the Rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment